Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I've been slacking for a while...

... but perhaps it's time for me to take this more seriously.

The writing world is abuzz about Amanda Hocking, the 26-year-old self-published author who sold over 450,000 copies of her e-books in January alone, mostly priced between 99 cents and $2.99. She's now a millionaire. The writing world has been abuzz for a while about J.A. Konrath, who has very publicly blogged about the significant amount of money he has made selling inexpensive e-books.
Maybe e-books is where I should be.... but first, I've gatta come up with a sensational plot AND find an editor. But apparently this 450K-selling book was barely edited with "than" being used for "then" and other problems. But she's self published which means she's probably self edited and that alone leads one down a road of horrors (I know since I self edit). Perhaps that now she's making some $$, she can find a beta reader?

Damn, I'm freaking jealous.

Source

EDIT:
And it is really, really hard (or at least, it has been for me) to find an editor that can do all that. My books have all been edited - several times, by dozens of people with varying backgrounds - and people still find errors.
Oops... my bad, then.

Her blog 

EDIT2:
These people are writing about blood and paranormal romance... I don't have that kind of imagination or interest. Back to reality :(

4 comments:

Angelica said...

See, I told you. Who knows what can happen to your writing. It might become big someday ;) Might become popular, and even be turned into a movie or show. Heeh.

Totally go for it!

Angelica said...

Yeek, that blood and paranormal stuff are the "in" thing at the moment [again], that's why. But girl, totally go for what you know and your own experiences. I'm sure something will come to you. :D And heck, if you can write fanfic, then you should be able to come up with something creative and original ;) You've already got your followers here, Soompi, and Couch Kimchi :)

I have a story to tell, but writing's not my forte. If I had your gift, I'd go for it ;)

Anonymous said...

I think you should continue to write about what you enjoy....Go for it!

What do you have to lose? I recently saw the movie about the woman who baked her way through Julia Child's cookbook and blogged about it. It was turned into a movie. Have you seen it? I enjoyed the slice of life portrayals in it.

Again, go for what you know....

msk

Enagwolo said...

Hey Angie, the paranormal stuff has been the in thing for a while now but I guess it's not dying any time soon, huh? I write both fanfic and original fic but on soompi, all are called fan fic as in, fic by fans. lol. The way to distinguish original from actual fan fic is to call it NG (Non-gasoo) which means it has original characters. It's just that I write normal, boring stuff. Maybe if I just make my love triangle between a werewolf and a vampire it would work? HMMM

Hahaha... I wish I had a gift. If you have a story to tell, then tell it girl. Your writing is good ;)

Thanks, msk. lol... yeah, I'll keep writing what I like but... but... LOL. Yeah, as they say, write what you know.