Thursday, September 30, 2010

Dr. Champ

I'm quite sure I'm not the only person that heard of a drama called "Dr. Champ" and didn't immediately post a reminder on her calendar. Because on a more serious note, what kind of name is "Dr. Champ?"























So why did I watch it? Truthfully? Well, I was bored as hell. And even though I don't watch 90% of the dramas airing, I sometimes just lurk in threads. So I lurked on over to the Dr. Champ thread on soompi and saw that msk, a fellow EunSoo-er had seen it and liked it. So I decided to give it a go. It was as simple as that. lol.

I'd planned on watching the first episode then watching the second today but I ended up watching both. Why? Because it was interesting. Plus they ended ep 1 with a major cliffhanger so I had to find out what happened next.

So what's the drama about? Judging from just two episodes, it's about a doctor who refuses to play by the rules (cover up a medical mistake) and ends up paying the price with her once promising career. So in the end, she's forced to get a job working at Taereung National Village (Korean Olympic training center). The others in the love square are a judoka, the medical director and a swimming coach, all at TNV.

Unlike in Coffee House where I jumped on the EunSoo ship in the first episode, after seeing the first two episodes, I'm on no ship. Truthfully, after seeing the first episode, I was looking forward to the love story of the doctor and the athlete since they were both introduced pretty well in this episode but after episode 2, where we got to know the medical director a bit better, I became open to either or both pairings. As I stand (or sit) right now, I'm just looking forward to seeing how the plot unfolds. The swim coach (director's ex-girlfriend) is a very typical second lead female... based on what we've seen so far and I'm not that interested in her.

Other characters introduced to us in the first episode are: Judoka's cute nephew (who helped him get closer to the doctor), his widowed mother (who has some issues with the judoka that are yet to be revealed), Doctor's money grubbing, immature and callous mother (another kdrama staple), Doctor's spineless ex-boyfriend and his annoying girlfriend, Judoka's oppa-loving dongseng (another kdrama staple) and some others.

A big cast and hopefully, instead of the drama starting off well then tanking at some point like many of the previous dramas in this time slot, Dr. Champ will only get better as the story unfolds. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi clock,

This is nice writeup.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that the writer and PD do not screw this drama over with needless scenes that take the air out of a possibly good underdog storyline.

I think the three leads are all underdogs in my eyes and hope they will all regain who they were (or are) as human beings in the end. They all have lost something and someone due to their own personal (or selfish) drives.....

I really, really like the judo guy...perhaps it's because he is the 1st one on the scene and the fact that he is such a kind person with a heart of gold. I also like what I saw of the medical director from his past relationship where he was happy.... I cannot wait to see more of the medical director with Dr. Kim.

Since the synopsis states a love tri, Kim is resisting the judo guy way tooooooo much and her relationship with the other doctor where she worked at the hospital did not go well, and the medical director told her to think of her colleagues as family so...I will just let this drama play itself out with who loves who, and who ends up together and enjoy the ensuing mayhem that they all will create for my enjoyment of course. Let the games begin.... :)

Enagwolo said...

Yes, I agree that they are all underdogs and it looks like flawed characters as well - which I love.

The first two episodes were good so I'm going to have some faith that they writers deliver. It's really being shot beautifully too.

HAHAHA. I'm also waiting for the games to begin! I was rooting for the Judo guy as well and think he's sweet, especially with his nephew but then the medical director dude just had to show up. lol. So now I'm open to all. I like characters with troubled pasts and the director fits the bill. As long as he's not too emo, I think I'll like him too.