Wednesday, November 24, 2010

So is Secret Garden = Pride and Prejudice + Persuasion?

I know loads of people have this sneaking suspicious than Secret Garden is like a Pride & Prejudice remake. It doesn't help that Joo Won is like an especially mean Darcy and he stole Darcy's first confession. But there are other things like his mom being like Darcy's aunt. His sister kinda "bonding" with Ra Im, and a bunch of other things with the plot.

But then Seul's plot... we don't know much about her yet but she comes off as a combination of two characters from Persuasion. LOL. The Seul-Oska story is clearly more like the main love story in that book but her scheming wannabe Joo Won's lover kinda comes off as the scheming woman in that book.

I am probably way off but this drama really does seem to draw a lot from other works.

Aside for this, one thing I'll say about the drama is that I think they brought the angst on a little bit too quickly. My heart should be twisting with them as they scream at each other but it's not because I don't feel connected to them yet. Maybe it'll happen later but I think we need to know the characters a bit more before we go on an emotional journey with them. But perhaps that will come later.  Cos right now, there was no falling in love in this drama. Joo Won became a bit obsessed so perhaps when they switch bodies and really spend some time together, it will all come together.

3 comments:

leila8mae said...

maybe the writer of this series' most favorite author is Jane Austen..

I can't comment much since I haven't seen this drama.. but I'll try to catch up!

Anonymous said...

I don't see Persuasion because they did not know each other unless the universe has something else up its sleeve regarding our couple like they came across each other when they were young and RI was kind to JW after an incident where her father saved his silver-plated ass....P/P yeah, big time.

msk

Enagwolo said...

Okay, leila. Yeah, maybe a P&P fan.

msk, I'm saying Persuasion for Oska and Seul not Ra Im and Joo Won. Since Oska and Seul were once in a relationship.