Thursday, November 4, 2010

In desperate need of a new drama to watch

WHAT'S GOING ON??

Almost every single drama I try seems to be unworthy of my time and my time isn't even that precious. What da hell? I already dropped all the Taiwanese dramas I bothered to try and also gave That Love Comes a chance.















I think I previously mentioned that I was on a borderline jdrama-only strict diet from like 2007-2009. And I say borderline because I did watch some kdramas (like The Last Scandal of My Life) and some twdramas but I was quite content watching mainly jdramas. Then something happened this year - my jdrama well began to run dry. Either I had seen all the good ones or the season really sucked. I can't say which but I ended up giving kdramas another try.

So it's been a pretty okay year - at least I can say that I actually finished some dramas this year. But what the hell is going on? Why is NOTHING appealing to me the days? To be fair, I'm not exactly faring horribly with the kdramas I've begun to watch this fall:

SKK Scandal. I don't like historical dramas at all so I can't even remember what compelled me to watch this drama. But I did and didn't find the first episode bad at all... although she's clearly not going to end up with the hot rogue I want for her. But just when I began to watch, there was some drama about the subs and I put this on hold. Now I wonder if I'll ever pick it up again.

Dae Mul. It's over the top and such a typical kdrama but it's also enjoyable despite all the political mumbo-jumbo that I don't really care about. I'm following it and if I actually see this through to the end, it'll be the longest non-daily drama that I've actually finished... lol, yeah, I know it's only 26 episodes but what can I say? I'm a lightweight. So for this one, so far, so good.

Dr. Champ. I already blogged my feelings about this one last week. I won't go as far as calling it a disappointment but where's the romance, yo? I watch kdramas for romance and this is failing so far. Please give me a romance worth watching. 

I just began watching some jdramas but I need to watch more episodes before blogging about them. But the truth is, because they are so short, I honestly prefer to wait till the series is over so I can just marathon it over a weekend.

Anyway, I did have a point with this and it's, WHAT AM I GOING TO WATCH NOW? As I mentioned, I began That Love Comes and am not even sure I'm going to finish it. There's nothing wrong with it but I really think I am sick of some storylines. It's the typical story of a rich famous prince meeting a poor, loving girl and blah blah... he has a girlfriend who's causing him pain... the second lead has unrequited love for her. Blah Bleh Bleck. Whatever.

And now, in my desperation, I'm going to give two new dramas a chance: Mary Stayed Out All Night and Secret Garden.

I am also sick of the who fake marriage-turned-love storyline. Okay?!?! There was a time I loved it but I think kdramas have killed that love for me. So I don't want it. NO NO NO. But I'm desperate so I'll give it a go even though I like none of the actors in MSOAN. LOL. Jeez.

And as for Secret Garden, the whole body switching thing just seems kind of weird, especially for a series. This is not to say that I hate all body switching stories. I liked Freaky Friday and the lesser known Wish Upon A Star but they were about family members of the same gender switching bodies. Not to say I have a problem with people of the opposite gender switching bodies and falling in love with each other or themselves(or whatever???) since I really like It's a Boy Girl Thing. And yes, I said really like it. That movie was a surprise to me. I expected it to suck but was pleasantly surprised - cute movie. But I digress.
















All the aforementioned are movies of probably under two hours so I wonder how the hell I'm going to watch 20 hours of a body swapping drama. The first 6 episodes will consist primarily of gender-based jokes and talk about how these people adjust to living with different organs. Then they will fall in love with each other (or themselves) then what else? Oh well.... I don't know. I guess I'll at least give it a shot. I like both actors so I hope they deliver.

It just sucks that there's no drama that I'm actually looking forward to seeing. Everything either has the same plot or is in a genre I have no interest in. Please SBS, MBC or KBS, SAVE ME!

9 comments:

leila8mae said...

clock, I'm actually interested with the title draft you made in our site..

what do WE need in a kdrama??

hmmmm.. your views will be really interesting..

Anonymous said...

I chose to pick up MSOAN or at least give it a viewing initially to see if it can keep my viewership.

Other than that one, I am going with the cable network dramas if subbed...some historical one modern. Here's the link to what upcoming: http://www.koreaherald.com/entertainment/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20101103000685.

I was somewhat interested in the Secret Garden (hate the title), but once more info came out, I lost interest quickly.

I love historicals not because of the romance (there is always one), but I like the action and the politics.

msk

leila8mae said...

msk i think you'll like SUNGKYUNKWAN Scandal, since it has romance and politics.. moreover YOO AH IN is so HOT as Jae Shin ;D

hehe.. spreading the SKKS virus..

Enagwolo said...

lol... yeah, leila, I'll come around to writing that at some point. Sometimes I wonder if what I want actually exists.

msk, thanks for the link. I am going to sound really shallow but I think just the look of historicals - costumes, settings etc etc kinda put me off. hahaha. Weird, huh? So I've actually never seen any of those big deal dramas. I was also very put off by the Secret Garden synopsis... and I still am. But I'm desperate. lol.

You might like SKK Scandal as leila suggested. As I said, I've only seen 1.5 hours of it but it's not bad.

Angelica said...

Clock, I think you should start writing your own online serial. Who knows? It might become popular and a Korean, Chinese, Taiwanese, or Japanese production company might offer to turn it into a show ;) Heh. You never know.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I just finished marathoning "My Lovely Sam Soon" with Hyun Bin so now I'm intested in seeing him in Secret Garden.

lelia, I know what you mean about the costumes and scenaries in historicals, but that was my initial entry into Kdramaland. Hey, I was just flipping channels one bright winter's day and BAM, "Tears of the Dragon" was on with E-subs so I watched and fell in love with the drama (159 episodes) and cried at the end and called up the tv station to inquire as to what was I just watched...cliche, I know....hehehehehe.

msk

Enagwolo said...

Angie, it's hard enough getting people to read my fics on soompi so writing an online serial that sweeps the nation(s) is more than a pipe dream at this point :D Just because I whine about the dearth of interesting dramas doesn't mean I can do any better. LOL.

msk, lol, that's how I felt after I saw that drama too. I went on to watch a few of his other stuff. Snow Queen is alright if you don't mind a sad ending.

Hahaha at your story. My intro to kdramas were the daily dramas and yep, I got hooked too. I couldn't watch during the week so I taped them and watching them was the first thing I did on Saturday morning.

Angelica said...

Clock, oh you! You write very well, so, don't discount the possibilities ;) You've already got your regulars (ahem) backing you ;)

Enagwolo said...

lol... Angie, thanks for saying that. :D