Monday, October 4, 2010

Playful Kiss 9 & 10

I finally saw episodes 9 & 10 of Playful Kiss. While it's not a bad drama, I think I've finally put my finger on what is lacking in it for me - an emotional connection with the characters.

I don't know if it's because I've previously seen ISWAK, but when watching the show, I don't feel like I am watching people - merely actors playing a role. So it's impossible for me to be drawn into their story. Even though Seung Jo has supposedly fallen for Ha Ni, truthfully, I don't see it at all. It's like their chemistry slowly diminished as time went by.

And speaking of the episodes in particular, I liked the moment when Seung Jo was leaving and even though he wanted to say goodbye to Ha Ni, being the person he is, he couldn't. So he kept his eyes on her while speaking to his brother. Essentially, he called out his brother's name but he was really talking to Ha Ni. Maybe that's what's missing with them - I don't see the emotion in their eyes.

Ha Ni, for her part, was very annoying in episode 10 with all the stalking and stuff. ARGH. And when I compare the bed scene in Playful Kiss versus the one in ISWAK, I must say there's no competition. In ISWAK, I could feel the sexual chemistry and could understand why Ariel's character was nervous about sleeping on the same bed as him. In Playful Kiss, it was almost like, "Girl, why's your mind going there? He won't do anything to you, anyway." 

I can already guess that the kiss in the rain (if it's here) will be nowhere as epic as the one in ISWAK.

On another note, the old dude playing the Tennis club leader must be having a blast with this role.

No comments: