Saturday, October 9, 2010

Kuch Kuch Hota Hai

So seeing the cut Segway scene got me all riled up about Coffee House once again and that led me into thinking about Kuch Kuch Hota Hai which I think I'm going to watch for the umpteenth time today. Okay, not the entire story but my favorite parts.




















KKHH is the story of Rahul and Anjali who are college best friends who miss their chance but get another one many years later. We have college best friends. Girl realizes she's in love with Guy when he starts to fall for another girl. Girl leaves town. Guy marries other girl. Other girl dies at childbirth. Years later, Guy and Girl meet again. Girl is engaged to another man. You can guess the rest.

We even get an epic train scene in this movie. Starts around the 5:50 mark.


Rahul (Guy) confesses his love for Tina (other girl) to Anjali (Girl). Finding this too difficult to deal with, Anjali decides to leave school (although she claimed to have other reasons but still...). So this is the scene where Rahul runs to the station to stop Anjali. from leaving. What I love most about this scene is that while Rahul doesn't quite realize that he's in love with Anjali, it's pretty clear to any bystander, including Tina.

Another favorite scene of mine is the bench scene. It's so very simple and clean, yet crackling with chemistry. It starts around the 2:35 mark.
 

This is the day of the Anjali-Rahul reunion. They are both much older with different interests and priorities from what they had that day at the train station and even though Rahul had thought of Anjali over the years (it didn't help that his wife had named their daughter after her), I think perhaps this is when Rahul realizes that he just might be in love with her. I love the awkwardness, shyness and sincerity of their interaction.

Then of course, there's the famous gazebo scene. Anjali and Rahul are caught in the rain and well, this is what happens. Starts around the 0:15 mark.


This is their "sexy" scene. Considering this is a Bollywood movie, and a family one at that, they couldn't exactly start making out but I think this worked well in showing the mutual attraction between the characters.

I loved Kuch Kuch Hota Hai in its entirety the first time I saw it although on subsequent viewings, I got tired of all the "fun" college scenes and what not. Plus it has the annoying crap of grooms being so generous of heart that they give their brides to someone else.  But nonetheless, I can't help but love this simple yet touching story of finding a once lost love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Once upon a time, I used to watch bollywood dramas....They used to be available on TV. This one looks good, sexy, and touching....Goodness, Indians from South Asia are gorgeous (men and women alike).

I may have to check this one out....I enjoy the singing and dancing too. Do you have any recommendations?

mskololia

Enagwolo said...

Hiya... I've up a recommendation list. I hope you find some you like there! :)