Friday, June 17, 2011

Some City Hunter Episode 8 Thoughts

As I've already mentioned, I would like these two to date.  Well, a few days ago, I also wanted Nana and the prosecutor to date but now I dislike him so obviously my mind can change in a week :D

But for this week, I liked the playfulness of their scene when she showed up the next morning. I like the way he popped out of hiding and how they looked at each other.

I also liked that she didn't question him even though she probably suspects that he was the one who'd tried to kidnap the senator.

But back to reality...
This was my favorite Nana/YS scene of the week:
I like how his voice softened when he asked that question. At the end of the day, he wouldn't want her to really dislike him under any of his guises. And he really wants to know what she thinks about him, doesn't he?
In a sense, her feelings for him don't really matter because regardless, his job is to protect her. And regardless of what his feelings for her might be, it's not like he wants to get into a relationship with her. At least not any time soon. But nonetheless, he does care what she thinks about him - both as the City Hunter and as Yoon Sung. 

Now, regardless of the skills Nana might have, Yoon Sung doesn't view her as an equal, at least not 'professionally.' Asking her if she'd consider another line of work wasn't simply because in general terms, she'd be safer (and he cares about her) but because he really doesn't think she's a match for him or anyone else like him.
And he speaks the truth. Had he been Jin Pyo or the creepy guy, she'd have been dead by now. And later on, when he tries to get her away from the congressman to keep her safe, while cute, it also speaks volumes of how he sees her as an agent. 

Now, that might be his view of 99% of the agents but it's still his view of her. I wondered if they would work together like in the manga. If they do, she might be relegated to admin work because I don't see how they can work together in the field. Why? Because he'd be way too distracted trying to keep her safe to actually be effective. 

Now, if this were Michael and Nikita (of either Nikita series), at the end of episode 8, there's a good chance he'd have gone after the senator because he'd be certain that Nikita could take care of herself. Nana and Yoon Sung are simply not that kind of couple and it obviously has a lot to do with the fact that the writers do want her to be saved and to be his weakness. (Mind you, Nikita and Michael are each other's weaknesses too but it's a different dynamic.)

It's like she can use her judo skills on him and shoot him but when they need him to save her, her kryptonite appears to render her powerless.

Having said all that, despite their agenda, I think the writers are working hard to at least give the character the appearance of being strong. Take the 'ditching work' scene. 
It's not like she left because she heard there was a 2-hour Coach sale at Macy's. She did leave for a compelling enough reason and I think many people who are currently employed know that people sometimes have to rush out of the office for personal reasons. It doesn't make them unprofessional - just human.

And the writers also know that sometimes having her be a damsel-in-distress so we can have romantic moments make her look weak so they try to explain it through dialogue. 
But it's clearly not enough for the audience since some are complaining. While it doesn't bother me because I've accepted what her role in this drama is, perhaps they would have been better served just making her a civilian with a regular 9-to-5 job so at least then, there wouldn't be grumblings about inconsistencies. 

But all in all, I enjoyed this week's episodes and look forward to the next two. My only gripe is I don't find the cases interesting enough. I feel they should be way more dramatic and interesting than shoes and military dodging. But that's just me. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Srsly, I want LMH and Hwang Sun Hee to date for real. Their chemistry however short a time on screen together is sizzling to me for some reason....Perhaps I'm seeing things, lol.

I like your thoughts on this episode and views generally on the dynamics at hand.

Even though my requests to modify Nana's character a teeny bit go unheeded, I can live with it in this drama because I'm enjoying all of the members so far...even the brat and prosecutor.

They were very slick in the beginning and I hope it does not veer too much into rom-com land because I did not suppose that was the genre. I hope they bring the slickness back to the revenge plot, but YS is not up to the task not being a hardened person. I think his character is leading the charge re the schemes to oust the gang of five soon to be angry men.

As for our lovely OTP, I would like to see them married in the end, but if not, c'est la vie.

msk

Enagwolo said...

lol, msk, I'm not going to lie, I'm kinda shipping those two in real life too. hahahaha. Yes, their chemistry is great and if they can't get together on screen, maybe they can do it off screen. hehe.

I think they are finding it hard to combine both the rom com and action scenes especially as they want us to take the action seriously. But overall, it still works for me.

I really hope YS starts to carry a gun because it makes no sense for him to try to continue with this revenge plot without protecting himself adequately. I hope they try to make him more realistic. Even if he's idealistic and good, he still has to stop himself from getting shot and whatever else.

This drama really should be longer than 20 episodes so that everything can be developed better, although I must say the plot is moving quickly. lol. Well at the end of the manga, they do get married so I guess we'll have to see if they can squeeze that in for us.