Monday, December 27, 2010

The straw that broke the camel's back?

I finally saw the bed scene and frankly speaking, it's not as bad as the previous kiss scenes - even the foam kiss. So I understand those wondering why some suddenly have an issue with this bed scene if they've tolerated even worse (the kiss at his house was just ugly IMO).

Perhaps it's a case of the straw that broke the camel's back? Perhaps they'd been slowly getting fed up with his selfish nature and the fact that he turns a deaf ear to everything she says and always insists on having things his way. So this was just the thing he did to push them over the edge.

What he did was very much in character and most have been squeeing so I'm not surprised that many defend his actions. I think the location (the bed) was what increased the ick factor for many.

Kdrama has a lot of sexist undertones and we always have this Cinderella plot going on with an alpha male and a weak female. Just because they made Ra Im a stunt woman doesn't mean she's strong - she's still very much a typical weak female character. We often call such characters kind hearted and sweet but that's just a positive way of looking at someone who isn't strong enough to truly stand up for herself. But standing up for herself means she'll never succumb to the stalking and the harassment and "fall in love" with the male protagonist.

It's funny cos Secret Garden has so many of the elements that made me switch to jdramas (Parental Disapproval, assholey arrogant lead males, weak women, repetitive dragging scenes etc etc) that it makes me feel like I'm watching a '90s drama.

I do love me some Oska so I want to see his happy ending but I just saw episode 13 and while it is the same stuff going on over and over again (I've been saying this for ages), it's gotten more tolerable, to be honest. Or maybe I just readjusted my expectations. Episode 14 is supposedly where a lot of good stuff happens so I'm looking forward to seeing something new. To be honest, I find these episodes more pleasant than the previous  6 or so.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I for one no longer like the story the writer is weaving or telling.....Believe me when I say, "I'm no prude."

But, when I saw the preview of epi 13 with the bed scene, they made RI look stupid to fall for JW's trick, imo. And then he began to recite what he does to keep himself grounded in reality....I was like o k a y, nuff said.

The story appears to be about JW with RI as just a mirror that reflects his image to the audience....Hence the body swap gone bad as she should have done more with it.

Also, I don't like the daddy character for doing this to his only child and for RI not doing some type of ceremonial visiting of his grave. The writer is only one-dimensional and her style is lazy...but I could be wrong.

msk

Enagwolo said...

You are absolutely right - the writing is terrible. People were addicted to Boys Over Flowers and that was crap so it proves people can be addicted to anything.

This drama has no plot. The writer couldn't write a story of them falling in love so she did the stalking thing and made Ra Im give in and now they are "in love." I'm still watching to see how it all ends but this is definitely not one of my top dramas by a mile.

But I must say I really do wonder why people are only having an issue with the bed scene when they found his other acts cute. That's what's confusing. It was tame compared to the other stunts he pulled.

Oh, and Ra Im is stupid.

Anonymous said...

I don't understand the swarm of comments either regarding the "bed" scene.

I've been offended all along with this kind of storytelling. If you ask me, it's all rather S&M so I'm not a fan of Kdrama rom-coms because they paint ghastly pictures of romance.

msk