Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Fanfic and feedback

I just got a review for a story I wrote over 3 years ago and for some reason, I am so tickled.

The review was positive although the rewiewer did also provide some constructive criticsm. I guess I am tickled because, of course, she was correct but it was one of my earliest works when I was still trying to figure out how fanfiction worked so I wrote it like it was original fiction. The great thing about fanfiction is you don't have to establish backgrounds and relationships and the lazy part of me really misses that.

2004 was very productive for me in terms of writing. That was the year I discovered fanfiction and pretty much the same year I abandoned it. Not because I got sick of writing, but because I got sick of the show The O.C. and had no interest in writing fanfiction about the characters.

That got me thinking about the impact fanfiction has had on my writing and I must say that a large percentage of what I learned about writing was through fanfiction. Not just the experience of writing a story but also the discussions I had with other fanfic writers on TWoP. Gosh, I really miss being part of the fandom. On a side not, whenever I see TWoP, my mind reads it as PWP. Gosh, I'm so dirty minded.

It's always funny when I get a review for one of those stories because even though it was only three years ago, it feels much longer and it's funny to realize that there are people still reading that stuff. And how do they manage to do so considering all my stories are based on the first season and so much has happened since then? But it might be related to the fact that I wrote about non-canon relationships often starring minor characters in the show.

Which brings me to my My Name Is Kim Sam Soon fanfic that was completed in July 2006. It was simply written out of my love for the show and to give it a more complete ending. At the time, I didn't realize that k-fanfics were mainly about singers (RPF)and when I couldn't find a KSS fanfic to read, I wrote one. I am almost certain I've blogged about this before.

Anyhoo, I do wish there were more kdrama fanfics but most dramas do have endings that can't be stretched much further.

I wish I knew where I was going with this post but I guess it's time to go home, aye?

No comments: