Monday, February 21, 2011

Have Kdramas killed my love for American romances?

I'm wondering this because a few weeks back, I watched this highly rated TV movie called The Lost Valentine. People keep going on and on about how it was so touching, they cried their eyes out etc etc and maybe the hype killed it for me because when I saw it, I felt it was just okay.






















Maybe I'm used to the swell of emotions that can come from a really good kdrama that when I watch the relatively bland and angst-less American movies, I can't connect to them anymore? It's a better done version of Letters to Juliet with some girl helping an old lady find her lost love while falling in love with her grandson. It was more realistic and less annoying but I didn't connect with the old lady's story and connected even less with the grandson's story (almost no angst. Come on, now!). Plus the old lady's story was way over the top with the schmaltz.

Having said that, I actually enjoyed the Ashton Kutcher-Natalie Portman movie, No Strings Attached, more. Maybe because I had no expectations going in and it was exactly was it said it would be - a simple, predictable rom com.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gave up on American romance movies sometime ago. I like the whacky ones anyway or the classics from the 30s-50s.

Betty is the current flavor so they hurriedly put her in a movie it seems to capitalize. Ghost ended last year too so....It is what it is. You know they are bad if they immiediately go to DVD.

msk

Enagwolo said...

Yeah, Betty White can do no wrong, apparently but honestly, the movie was nothing special.

And I wonder how much money can be made from these Made-for-TV movies. Of course High School Musical became a huge hit so what do I know?

Anonymous said...

I don't watch the Hallmark movies a lot (used to) or Lifetime Network (used to) unless it's something I've watched and liked before.

They stopped making good romance movies years ago imo. This from a person who thought 'Titanic' was way overrated especially when ppl claimed "I saw it xx times and cried each time...."

I do like Hallmark but they need to bring back the kind of movies that made them "special" and not just these sentimental, soapy dribbles of a movie....

msk

Enagwolo said...

I used to watch Lifetime movies like 10 years ago when they were all about cheating and abusive husbands. lol.

Hallmark movies in general have been very blah for me. To be honest, it's amazing I'm such a kdrama fan now because I only really liked romances in books and not in film. Actually, when I was younger, I didn't like movies in general. lol. It was all about music and books for me.

I also found Titanic way overrated (only seen it once and didn't shed a tear. Instead, I smirked the whole time).