Monday, February 19, 2007

Getting back into writing

It really is hard getting back to writing when you haven't done it for a while. I really did enjoy being part of the O.C. fanfic community especially as I produced so much work in such a short time period.

But now that I've left, I can see the detriments of being a fanfiction writer. For one, I got used to writing with an established relationship in place so I could just get into my story without having to write all the boring parts. But now that I'm getting back to Original Fiction, the first few chapters just seem so torturous. Oh, and coming up with names is such a pain. GRR.

Also, while writing Femi's Diary, I never expected to get replies. I did get readers who signed my guestbook and sent emails but there was no expectation. With fanfiction, you get so used to receiving reviews that now, it's hard to write without having readers.

Well, so I've just started to write my third story on Soompi (where I'm a n00b) and it's definitely been an experience. For starters, I am writing about Asian characters and the fanfiction section is so huge that it's hard to get noticed. Plus I don't write Real Person Fic nor create posters and all that. Now, I just have to figure out a way to keep writing despite getting just a little amount of attention. After all, I am glad to have two completed stories to my name. I just have to find a way of writing without obsessively checking to see if anyone's replied.

My Sam Soon sequel had a few loyal readers which was great. And on some other site, I randomly found a recommendation from someone I didn't even know was a reader. lol, I find joy in the littlest things.

Wrong Foot First technically did worse than Finding A Bridge especially at the beginning where I had to beg for comments but by the time I'd finished, I did receive quite a few responses. I am proud of this story and glad I finished it.

Now I just have to find a way of getting through the first 5 chapters of my new story so that I can get to the good stuff. Dang, writing aint easy!

No comments: